Monday, April 18, 2011

you are what you eat.

I am in the process of reading Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet. If you have not read it, I highly recommend it! She is so passionate about animals, the environment, and health...not to mention there are TONS of yummy vegan recipes that I can not wait to try!

I have not been on this journey long, but I can already tell some amazing changes in my life that I would like to share. Someone told me today that my skin looks clearer. And I am continuing to feel like I am losing weight--effortlessly.
Those were things that I expected to happen when I changed my diet; however, I am also feeling so so so HAPPY! (which I didn't know would be an outcome of changing my diet) I feel like I am just smiling so much more now :) And I don't get irrated as easily. I guess peaceful would be the best way to describe how I feel. Alicia talks about this in The Kind Diet, how animals release so many emotional hormones (adrenaline and steroids) before being slaughtered, and those hormones end up in our food. Look it up, it has been proven in many studies. Goodbye, antidepressants.

I am also becoming a lot more aware of what my body needs...when to eat when I'm hungry...and when to stop when I'm full. Plant-based foods are the only foods with natural fiber...fiber absorbs water...and boom! you feel fuller faster and longer. I am trying to be more mindful of ENJOYING my food...and the nutrients it is providing my body with. I get so much satisfaction out of an apple now. Who knew?
Before I was living to eat, and I definitely feel like I am learning to eat to live instead (which is what food is for, to nurture and provide us with energy). I can't count how many times I sat down to eat something and a few minutes later thought..."Who ate all my pie??"

I strongly encourage every single person out there to read The Kind Life by Alicia Silverstone. She has been a vegan for 10 years, so she knows what she is talking about! She has done the research. Her book will really put things into a different perspective for you!

Another thing I would like to mention is how wonderful & supportive my friends and family are being :) My best friend Laura is going to start having a vegan dinner night with me once a week! And tonight my mom & dad are letting me cook a vegan dinner!
On the menu:
  • Vegan Sloppy Joe's (Fantastic World Foods Vegetarian Sloppy Joe --from Whole Foods)
  • Sweet Potato Fries
  • Pinto & Navy beans with onion (cooked in the slow cooker)
  • Raisin, apple, and shredded carrot salad with apple cider vinegar (this is my own creation and tastes YUMMY)
Don't forget to create your own blog, and follow me! :)

peace & love friends,

2 comments:

  1. I love it Lauren! You have truly inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great information here Lauren, and so well put together!
    After our talk on Easter, I was re-inspired to try vegetarian again...small steps this time to vegan, you're so right, it's not an overnight kindof goal. You're stories and advice will set people up for success! I WILL be following! btw...i did some more research on aspartame...the detox started today!

    ReplyDelete