Saturday, April 16, 2011

nothing happens overnight. Week 1

Hi :) and welcome to my blog...which is all about beginning (hints the word begin) a vegan lifestyle. It's definitely not something that happens overnight. However, I do have somewhat of a head start because I have been a vegetarian for 2 and 1/2 years now. 
Drumroll please....
It all started in October 2008. My dad had to be rushed into surgery for a triple bypass. It was that frightening day that I decided that I wanted to do something about my health. I weighed around 150 at the time, which was DEFINITELY too much weight on my 5'5" frame. So I guess the reason for the change then was for health. But I have always been a super sensitive and overly compassionate person. I can't stand to watch anything or anyone suffer. I have saved a roach before. Yes, a dirty filthy roach. But I can't help it. I think when God created me, he gave me an extra dose of conscience. So the whole fact that eating meat means eating something that used to be living, breathing, and most likely suffered extreme pain for my one meal of sastisfaction...NO F-ING THANKYOU.
The past two and 1/2 years have been amazing. My family and friends have been completely supportive, even going out of their way to fix me vegetarian meals. yumyum :) Even my roommate who I lived with for 2 years would hardely ever bring meat into the house. I do not remember the last time I was sick. Yes, that's right....being a vegetarian makes your immune system kick ass. I also lost 10 pounds and kept it off effortlessly. I will never ever eat meat again.

About Begin Vegan.....
I have always wanted to try a vegan lifestyle. I have heard so many good things...weight loss, clear skin, better digestion, and even vision is corrected. That's right, being a vegan helps you to SEE, and THINK about what you are putting into your body! Just in the past week, I have been slowly making the changes to a vegan diet. Like I said before, it doesn't happen overnight. I think the biggest question I have had so far is..."What do you eat???" Well smart friend, I eat fruits & veggies (my fav..yum), whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat bread, etc.), beans, nuts, and a lot of other really tasty vegan treats (that I will be sharing in this blog!) I also quit caffiene and artificial sweetners a few weeks ago...so like I said before, everything is gradual. Not to sound like a broken record here, but it doesn't happen overnight.  

I have already lost 2 pounds, and I kid you not. I feel amazing. My body digests my food SO much faster, so my metabolism is always going. And I am always eating. Always eating + losing weight = miracle. You do the math :)

This blog is going to be about the shift....from vegetarian to vegan. I am going to include posts about amazing food, not so tasty food (so you won't have to find out for yourself), books, cruelty-free beauty and home products, what to eat at restaraunts, and MORE! I am so excited and passionate about sharing my lifestyle with you and I want to CHALLENGE YOU to try a vegetarian lifestyle...for a week, or a month.....and hopefully one day, forever. Or maybe you want to get on the boat with me and TRY to be vegan. I would LOVE that, because I am a lonely beginning vegan and would love to have some veganistas as friends :) Just remember, NOTHING HAPPENS OVERNIGHT (the last time I'm saying it, I promise!) The meat industry is the #1 source of harm to mother Earth. Just try to cut out one thing at a time.

I am going to leave you with some amazing books I have been reading. The first thing I did when deciding to change my lifestyle is order these books off Amazon.com. Knowledge is power.




The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone
She is officially my vegan guru. I even have her blog as my computer homepage (http://www.thekindlife.com/)






Skinny Bitch & Skinny Bitch in the Kitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin
These girls do not sugarcoat things. They are straightforward and will give you the dirt on everything!


The Veganist by Kathy Freston
I picked this up at Target. I just finished the first chapter, but so far it has been so helpful in understanding the digestive process that goes on in EVERY human body. And the first chapter is titled "Promise 1: Your Body Will Find and Maintain Its Ideal Weight--Effortlessly". You can't beat a promise about losing weight! :)


Skinny Bitch: Ultimate Everyday Cookbook: Crazy Delicious Recipes That are Good for the Earth and Great for Your Bod by Kim Barnouin
This book is more than just a recipe book. It also includes the skinny on choosing organic, vegan brands to buy, and tons more.
I have not tried a recipe yet, but let's just say....everything looks and sounds DELICIOUS. The first recipe I am going to try is "Banana and Cinnamon Muffins" YUM. And nothing looks complicated...we will see :)


I hope you enjoy reading my blog. Please join, even if you are not interested in becoming vegetarian/vegan...I am going to include posts about a WIDE range of health topics :)

I am wondering, if you were to become vegetarian/vegan...what would be the HARDEST thing to give up????

6 comments:

  1. I think it's so awesome you're moving towards a vegan lifestyle! It really is pretty awesome to eat all day long and not feel gross about it : D Well, you know, unless you're eating vegan junk food. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and the hardest things for me to give up were hot dogs, corn dogs, BBQ ribs, fettuccine Alfredo.. But I've found awesome substitutes for pretty much everything I used to miss. So I'm all good : D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot to mention your sister-in-law adding vegetarian friendly wedding entrees. Haha! :) Cute blog and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew you would be a blogging natural:) It's so cute! I like all of the products you listed on this post and others; I gotta try some of that Peanut Butter and Co!

    eatdrinkbewell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks Rain...and everyone :) blogging is pretty addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, I know! I'm just glad I have someone to share in the addiction now:) Hey, atleast it's a productive addiction...

    ReplyDelete